In the wonderful world of women, we are moms, wives, daughters and day-to-day leaders who make an incredible impact on the planet today. The women before us paved the road with advice, strength and courage. We’re still growing and figuring out how to put our own stamp on the universe.
Did you know that our impact is felt all the way to the feminine products we use? Given the statistics below, the economic power of women is not surprising.
- A quick google search tells you that generally, a woman has about 500 menstrual cycles in her lifetime.
- The global feminine hygiene-market was worth US $24.5 billion in 2018!
- Women will spend about $150 – $300.00 a year on feminine hygiene disposables.
- About 58.29 million women in the U.S. used sanitary pads and napkins in 2019 with 33.91 U.S. million women using tampons in 2019*
Why is this important?
As savvy consumers who range in age from 12 to 45, we research more than ever the products we use, how they’re made and the personal health values they offer us. Feminine hygiene products are a necessity for us and not a luxury. Menstruation is no longer a taboo subject, and Social Media is playing a large part in getting the word out that yes, we have periods and proud of it!
What’s changed for menstrual health care?
As women, we’re not relegated to a one-size-fits-all product that doesn’t align with our personal preferences or body types. From tweens to teens, millennials to Generation X, personal hygiene has truly evolved to include:
- High-quality and more affordable products.
- Increased demand for eco-friendly, organic and biodegradable materials.
- We are more aware of what we are putting into our bodies to keep us fresh and safe from harmful germs.
- The need to accommodate an active lifestyle from puberty to menopause.
What’s new on the market?
A broad range of feminine products are on the market today and many of them made by female-led brands. Long gone are the days when you had a period and could only select from a couple of products on aisle six in the drugstore. Home delivery is now the norm, no hiding your female products while in a checkout line. Women have become stronger, more confident and comfortable in what they want to use from:
- Reusable Tampon Applicator
- Organic Initiative Cotton Tampons
- Femly Cups
- Luna Pads
- Beppy Pure Sponge Tampons
- First-period kits
- Tween products
- Menstrual cups
- Disposable menstrual disc
- Non-chlorine bleached all-cotton pads and tampons
Where to start?
The feminine hygiene market remains in demand for improved products that will give women the best menstrual care.
- Education is key whether you are starting your first period or your last. Ask your mom, an older sister or friend what products they like to use.
- Talk with your doctor before using any new product to ensure a safe and effective menstrual cycle for your body.
- According to *The Center for Young Women’s Health website, both internal and external products approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration are considered safe. There is a risk for Toxic Shock Syndrome with tampons, but the risk is very low.
- If you are a parent of a teen or tween, check product information with them, discuss options available and let them know the importance of maintaining healthy hygiene practices.
Please remember that all women should have access to feminine hygiene products to give them the self-confidence and well-being they need. Many women still can’t afford hygiene products so it’s important to empower each other to help those in need to ensure that basic feminine necessities are met.
The Information on this site is intended to raise awareness and understanding of specific health issues. It should not be used for diagnosis or a substitute for health care by your physician.